Sone Blocked

ABERDEEN have blocked winger Sone Aluko from joining Nigeria's Under-20 squad for the upcoming World Cup.

The 20-year-old was due to leave for the tournament in Egypt today, but AFC says the forward failed to prove his fitness.

Dons manager Mark McGhee was angered that Aluko picked up a knock while training with his country last week, and only used Aluko as a substitute against Falkirk in Monday's 0-0 draw.

Aberdeen could have potentially been without Aluko until the tournament finishes on 16 October.

But, as releasing players for Fifa Under-20 tournaments is not compulsory, the club is perfectly within its rights to withdraw players they believe could aggravate an injury.

McGhee said: "I'll respect Sone's wishes, but he has got to convince me he's 100% fit and he has not done that tonight.

"I've got to take Aberdeen into account. We can't afford him to come back injured."

Former England Under-19 international Aluko switched allegiance to Nigeria in May, and he made his full Nigeria debut soon after.

But while the player was expected to miss Aberdeen games during future African Nations Cups, the fact that Nigeria also want to play Aluko in the month-long Under-20 World Cup is taking the mick.


Beat The Manager

Join our Facebook Group

Stand Free Toolbar