Aberdeen 2-1 Kilmarnock - report

Aberdeen kept up the pressure on Scottish Premiership leaders Celtic with a narrow but deserved 1-0 victory over second-bottom Kilmarnock, who remain in relegation trouble.

With Ronny Deila's team winning against Partick in the lunchtime kick-off to pull four points clear, the Dons knew they could not afford to slip-up and they duly delivered.

Shay Logan nodded in a 71st-minute winner after Josh Magennis had wiped out his former club's lead given to them by Ash Taylor.

The Dons, like their title rivals, also defeated Partick on Tuesday and made two changes.

Niall McGinn was restored after overcoming a foot injury and Barry Robson earned a start, with Craig Storie and Mark Reynolds dropping to the bench.

The hosts dominated the first half and Kenny McLean almost celebrated winning his first Scotland call-up with the opener in the seventh minute

After linking with Simon Church, McLean curled a 22-yard effort beyond the outstretched Jamie MacDonald but the ball struck the upright.

The visitors looked vulnerable at the back and MacDonald had to make a superb save in the 21st minute.

Church head-flicked on Logan's cross for McGinn, who, after taking a good first touch, saw his 14-yard shot clawed away by the Killie keeper.

The Northern Irishman will probably feel he should have scored though.

However, Derek McInnes' men made a deserved breakthrough in the 37th minute from a set-piece.

Robson, who assisted the winner with a whipped corner at Firhill, made a similar delivery and Taylor stole a march on his marker to bury a header into the net from eight yards.

Kilmarnock's threat was minimal prior to the interval but they drew level two minutes into the second half.

Greg Kiltie dug out a right-wing cross, which was knocked down at the far post by Rory McKenzie and Magennis headed home.

Magennis could have scored again in the 62nd minute after an error from Andrew Considine.

The Dons defender was hesitant and Magennis robbed him of possession only to screw his angled shot wide.

The hosts quickly upped the tempo and they restored their lead in the 71st minute.

Jonny Hayes delivered a superb left-wing cross, which was met by the onrushing Logan who stooped to head home from close range.

Moments later, the energetic full-back was just as effective down the other end, stopping a near certain goal by intercepting a Magennis cross, which was heading towards the unmarked Tope Obadeyi at the far post.

But Aberdeen held out to move back to within a point of Celtic and keep alive their hopes of a first title since 1985.

Source: PA

Source: PA