Celtic 3-2 Aberdeen - report

Last updated : 11 May 2016 By Stand Free Ed

Celtic secured their fifth consecutive league title with a hard-fought 3-2 victory over Aberdeen at Celtic Park on Sunday.

Two first half goals from Patrick Roberts and a second half strike from Mikael Lustig looked to have set the Hoops on course for a comfortable afternoon's work in Glasgow.

However, a spirited second half fightback from the Dons, which included goals from Niall McGinn and Andy Considine, ensured a nervy finish for the champions.

Victory secures Ronny Deila a final piece of silverware before his departure from the club at the end of the season.

Aberdeen finish as runners-up in the division for the second consecutive season under manager Derek McInnes.

It was the visitors that started the better of the two sides and should have gone ahead inside the opening minutes when McGinn mishit a shot wide when unmarked inside the six-yard box.

That chance sparked Celtic into life and the home side took the lead in spectacular fashion just minutes later. After cutting in from the right-hand side, Roberts unleashed an unstoppable drive past Adam Collin into the top right hand corner.

The Manchester City loanee then grabbed his second with a composed finished after being played through on goal by Leigh Griffiths.

Aberdeen were struggling to retain possession inside Celtic's half without their injured top scorer Adam Rooney, but came closest through a Hayes free-kick which Craig Gordon saved comfortably.

The hosts had dominated the first half and extended their lead immediately after the break when Lustig finished off a fine move after Callum McGregor had beaten Graeme Shinnie on the byline.

Efe Ambrose, on as a second half substitute for stand-in captain Charlie Mulgrew, almost gifted Aberdeen a lifeline by losing the ball to Hayes inside the Celtic half - although the winger could only fire straight at Gordon when through on goal.

The visitors' endeavour was rewarded five minutes later when McGinn capitalised on poor defending at the back to finish well past Gordon.

The home side responded immediately and went close to a fourth through Griffiths after more good work on the wing by the impressive Roberts.

However, it was Aberdeen who struck next. After conceding a free-kick, Ambrose failed to pick up Considine from the resulting set-piece, allowing the defender to head in the Dons second of the afternoon.

Celtic appeared increasingly vulnerable from set-pieces and almost conceded again when Shay Logan headed wide from six-yards out. Considine then powered a header over the bar as the visitors pushed for an unlikely equaliser.

However, Celtic were able to see out the closing stages without any further scares to secure their 47th league title and fifth consecutive triumph in Scottish football.

Source: Sky Sports