Celtic 4-1 Aberdeen - report

Last updated : 09 September 2016 By Stand Free Ed

Celtic moved to the top of the Scottish Premiership table after beating Aberdeen 4-1 at Celtic Park.

First-half goals from Leigh Griffiths and James Forrest, a late Scott Sinclair penalty and Tom Rogic's 90th-minute strike made it three wins from three league games for Brendan Rodgers' side and took them above Rangers at the summit.

Aberdeen replied with a first-half goal from Adam Rooney but the defeat ended their own unbeaten start to the season and they finished the game with 10 men after Mark Reynolds' 87th-minute red card.

The visitors had the first chance of the match when Wes Burns fired over early on, but Celtic then took command of the game, dominating possession.

Griffiths curled a shot over after being played in by Sinclair and Rogic went close when he crashed a shot against the crossbar.

The opening goal arrived in the 13th minute as Griffiths played the ball through Kenny McLean's legs before smashing home off the post from 25 yards.

Forrest then fired wide after some good work by Sinclair, but Aberdeen stunned the home crowd when they levelled in the 32nd minute.

Niall McGinn's centre from the left-hand side of the penalty area was blocked by Kolo Toure, but Rooney pounced on the loose ball and hooked home from eight yards out.

Celtic were back in front 10 minutes later, though, as Forrest curled in an effort with the outside of his boot and Griffiths almost added a third just before the break when he fired wide from Mikael Lustig's cut-back.

Anthony O'Connor headed wide from a free-kick as Aberdeen launched an early attack in the second half, while Sinclair saw a shot blocked from Kieran Tierney's low cross at the other end.

Nir Biton spurned another chance to extend the Hoops' lead midway through the second half when he curled the ball over after sub Patrick Roberts had done well to beat Ash Taylor.

McGinn headed wide at the far post as the Dons went in search of a second equaliser and Dorus de Vries, making his debut in the Celtic goal, had to be alert to punch another Aberdeen cross away.

Graeme Shinnie was presented with an opportunity to level with 13 minutes remaining but he blazed over from the edge of the penalty area.

However, the Dons' hopes of snatching a point were ended in the 87th minute when Reynolds brought down Sinclair when he was clean through in the area to pick up a second yellow card.

Sinclair dusted himself down to score from the penalty spot to make it 3-1 and Rogic rubbed salt into the wounds when he curled the ball into the bottom corner from a free-kick.