Dundee 0-2 Aberdeen - report

Last updated : 08 December 2015 By Stand Free Ed


Aberdeen closed the gap on leaders Celtic at the top of the Ladbrokes Scottish Premiership to just four points with this 2-0 victory over Dundee at Dens Park.

Derek McInnes' second-placed side won with something to spare in the televised early kick-off where early goals from Niall McGinn and Adam Rooney put them in command.

Dundee never really rose to the occasion while their visitors took full advantage of Celtic's postponement to stretch their recent unbeaten run to four games.

Aberdeen began strongly. Inside the first five minutes, Willo Flood fed Kenny McLean whose shot from 25 yards was blocked by Dundee defender Julen Extabeguren.

Then, after seven minutes, McLean tried his luck with a 30-yard free-kick which home goalkeeper Scott Bain palmed wide for a corner.

But they did not have to wait too much longer to make the breakthrough as McGinn put them ahead after nine minutes.

Johnny Hayes' short corner was only half-cleared by the Dundee defence as far as Ash Taylor.

Taylor then laid the ball into the path of McGinn who rifled a low shot out with the reach of Bain from 16 yards.

The visitors were well on top and McGinn was causing the Dundee defence all sort of problems with his movement.

In the 16th minute, the Northern Ireland international broke down the left and skipped past Paul McGinn.

This time he opted to cross into the box but Bain was alert to the danger and he came off his line to gather despite the wet conditions.

Dundee had a penalty appeal after that when Nicky Low was fouled by Taylor, but referee Bobby Madden decided it was not inside the box.

However, none of that mattered as the visitors went further ahead after 25 minutes.

McLean initially dispossessed Dundee's Paul McGowan inside his own half as the Dons broke quickly.

The ball broke for Flood who, in turn, sent Hayes free on the overlap before he crossed for Rooney whose cool finish at the far post rounded off an impressive move.

Aberdeen looked like they were hungry for more goals and, in 35 minutes, Hayes let fly from 30-yards, forcing Bain to parry his effort wide of the target for a corner.

Dundee could not be as lacklustre after the break and at least they were beginning to be seen as an attacking force.

After 53 minutes, Greg Stewart went on a run and tried a shot with his left foot which was easily held by visiting keeper Danny Ward.

At the other end, McLean shot over the bar on the hour from close-range after Hayes' initial shot had been saved by Bain.

Dundee huffed and puffed towards the end with Kane Hemmings bringing out a late save from Ward, but their opponents were always in control to move four points ahead of third-placed Hearts.

Source: Sporting Life/PA