Hearts 1-3 Aberdeen - report

Last updated : 30 September 2015 By Stand Free Ed

Rampant Aberdeen claimed their first victory at Tynecastle in more than five years to make it eight league wins in a row and cement their place at the summit of the Ladbrokes Premiership.

David Goodwillie, a shock pick in attack ahead of the Dons' top scorer Adam Rooney, justified his selection by ably leading the line and notching a clinical brace to break his duck for the season.

However, the magic of Niall McGinn stole the show, with the Northern Irishman registering two assists for Goodwillie and scoring a wonderful goal of his own in a 3-1 victory.

Igor Rossi hit back for the home side, who have now suffered three successive defeats, but the visitors held on for their first triumph in Gorgie since a 3-0 win in January 2010.

With impressive victories against champions Celtic and bogey side Hearts secured in the last eight days - as well as a hard-fought win against Hamilton - the Dons' burgeoning title charge shows no sign of flagging.

It took just 10 minutes for Aberdeen to stun a sold-out Tynecastle, with Goodwillie rising highest to meet an inviting McGinn free-kick. His header took a slight deflection off Miguel Pallardo and squirmed beyond Neil Alexander.

Provider turned goalscorer midway through the first half as McGinn doubled the Dons' advantage with a marvellous solo strike. The former Celtic winger skipped beyond a careless challenge by Blazej Augustyn - making his first appearance since August 8 - on the left flank, dribbled past Callum Paterson in the box and easily overcame a tight angle to curl a superb finish into the top corner.

Rossi had Hearts' best chance of the first period as he leapt to meet a Jamie Walker corner, however his header was deflected over the crossbar by Shay Logan.

Aberdeen took full advantage by making it 3-0 before the break. Once again, man of the match McGinn was the creator, breaking with pace following a Hearts attack and surging past the powderpuff efforts of Pallardo. He squared for Goodwillie, who shot beyond Alexander from 10 yards.

Hearts were sent out for the second half five minutes before their Aberdeen counterparts and the half-time message from Robbie Neilson clearly had the desired effect. A corner from half-time substitute Sam Nicholson caused chaos in the box and Rossi rattled home the loose ball for his first goal for the Jambos.

Aberdeen almost responded immediately, but Peter Pawlett saw his low drive saved by the legs of Alexander before McGinn was denied by the former Scotland stopper.

Hearts almost prompted a dramatic finale when Paterson's powerful free-kick from 25 yards rattled Danny Ward's crossbar. But, despite some late pressure, that would be as close as the Jambos came as Aberdeen claimed a superb three points.

Source: PA Sport